Pages

Friday 25 May 2012

Feijoas Curd Trifle


When Melissa's sent me a basket of products 2 weeks ago, most were foreign to me.  Intrigued, I set out to sample and create recipes for each fruit and grain I tested.  Of all, the Cherimoya and Feijoas were the most challenging.

I'd never heard of a Feijoas before but they looked quite similar to limes, except when cut open.  The insides were firm like a cantaloupe with tiny brown, edible seeds.  To taste, they resembled a variety of delicious fruits but none that I could pinpoint. 



My first instinct was to make a Feijoas Curd.  After 2 weeks of debating with myself that was my final choice. 


Although the meat of the Feijoas is white, while making the curd it became a tan caramel-like color - not at all appealing.  My guess, the seeds caused the change in color.  I thought, "there's no way I can photograph this and report about it."  But, after tasting the finished product I realized I had to share it, color and all. 

I had no idea what to expect while cooking, especially since the interior of the Feijoas was firm, not liquid like most fruits I've turned into curd.  Once thickened, strained and refrigerated I had to decide how to plate it.  Alone was not an option, since the color wasn't exactly appetizing for a dessert.  So I decided to make my fat free banana bread and make individual trifles.



I know, why am I making a fat free banana bread with a butter-rich curd?  Because if my family didn't like the curd I knew they'd eat my fat free banana bread.

Hot from the oven, I let the banana bread cool down a bit so I could remove it from the pan and cut into chunks.  Using a cocktail glass I placed some curd in the bottom, topped with warm banana bread cubes, topped with more feijoas curd.  The end result was like a warm bread pudding that tasted so incredible, I literally had to force myself to stop eating it. 

My son had stopped by just in time to sample - he's my biggest critic, and he loved it!  Unfortunately my husband went to bed early so he wasn't able to try it, but I'm sure he'll agree when he samples it, that it's quite tasty.



I can't begin to explain what the Feijoas Curd tastes like or the Feijoas on its own.  Although very familiar, we just couldn't put our finger on it. We only knew it tasted tropical.

Although the curd came from the refrigerator, when placed with the hot banana bread cubes you couldn't distinguish cold from hot.  It was all just nice, warm and yummy.  I could have licked the cocktail glass clean. 

I hope you'll march down to your local grocer to get some Feijoas and try my Feijoas Curd with my Fat Free Banana Bread (that recipe will be posted next week).  I think you'll like it.

If you can't find Feijoas look here for a store near you or ask your local grocer to order some.

Below is the recipe for my Feijoas Curd.  Next week I'll post the recipe for my Fat Free Banana Bread.


Feijoas Curd

Makes 1 ½ cups



1 tablespoons Feijoas zest (zest of about 5 Feijoas)

2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten

3 large whole eggs, lightly beaten

1 stick unsalted butter (8 tablespoons)

¾ cup granulated sugar

meat from 5 Feijoas, cut in 1/2 and scooped out, including seeds



  • Whisk all ingredients together in a large heat proof bowl, mashing the Feijoas'
  • Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water and cook, stirring frequently until very thick, about 20 to 25 minutes
  • Strain, cover and chill completely.
Serve with my Fat Free Banana Bread in individual cocktail glasses. 

Place 2 tablespoons of Feijoas Curd in bottom of cocktail glass, top with cubes of warm banana bread then top with more Feijoas Curd ~ Enjoy!

If you missed the other delicious products I received from Melissa's please check my previous posts with recipes below:



I hope you enjoy all these recipes.  Have a Happy and Safe Memorial Day! 

Please REMEMBER those who have served to protect us!



No comments:

Post a Comment