Pages

Tuesday 27 November 2012

Spinach Quiche - Holiday Luncheon Favorite!














Back in the mid 70s I became passionate about cooking. Although I had cooked for years in the kitchen with my grandmother, it wasn't until I went off to college and cooked for myself and friends, that I fell in love. This stemmed from the immediate gratification I felt creating beautiful and delicious dishes and from those who enjoyed my creations.


As a huge fan of the then new magazine, Bon Appetit', I learned many new and challenging recipes - such as "The Art of Making Quiche!" Quiche was HUGE back in the 70s, in fact I still have the original book that I purchased. I made everything from crabmeat quiche to veggie quiches. Then decided to create my own combinations - below is one of them.


Spinach, mushrooms and red peppers were three favorite veggies of mine so it only seemed natural to put them into a quiche. I also loved Jarlsberg cheese which resembles Swiss but is mild, with a sweet and nutty flavor, plus it's lower in fat.

Sometimes I'd make my own pie shell while other times I'd purchase the ready-made. Fresh packed spinach wasn't as readily available in the 70s as it is today, so I used frozen chopped spinach. I've updated my recipe since then, but feel free to change it, to suit your taste and needs.

This quiche will be the perfect addition to your holiday luncheon table - and guaranteed to get rave reviews!













Spinach, Mushroom 
 & 
Red Pepper Quiche

serves 6-8

Ingredients:

10 oz. package of fresh spinach
1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
6 small baby bella mushrooms, sliced
1/2 red pepper, diced
4 tbsp. unsalted butter
fresh ground pepper
fresh grated nutmeg

Custard
5 eggs
2 cups whipping cream

3/4 pound Jarlsberg Cheese, shredded

9" pie pan or deep dish

Pate Sucree or ready-made pie crust

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375F degrees.

Make Pate Sucree (no need to cook prior to baking quiche) or prepare ready-made pie crust according to package directions.

Filling:

Melt butter in skillet and saute onions, then mushrooms and red pepper. Add spinach and cook until just wilted.

Add fresh ground pepper and nutmeg to taste - remove from heat.


Add shredded Jarlsberg, mix and pour ingredients into prepared pie crust.


Blend eggs and whipped cream (custard) together then slowly pour onto veggie mixture.


Bake 35-45 minutes or until top is golden brown and center is firm.


Beautiful and delicious! The perfect dish for a holiday luncheon. Serve with fresh berries, a colorful garden salad and you've got a luscious meal!

Note: The Pate Sucree makes enough for 2 pie crusts. Earlier this year I used one of the pie crusts to make a stunning Meyer Lemon Tart with a Layer of Chocolate. 

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment