Pages

Tuesday 15 November 2011

How to make Popovers?


For years I've been making popovers to go with our Thanksgiving dinner.  In my opinion they're the perfect bread to go with a heavy meal.  They're light, airy and delicious.

My first encounter with popovers was while dining at The Zodiac Room in Neiman Marcus.  I thought they were incredible and when I would take my children (now 22 & 25) with me, they loved them as well, especially slathered with their heavenly strawberry butter.

Over the years I've perfected making these airy little puffs, getting rave reviews from all who try them.  I get so many requests for this recipe I posted a video last year on my blog for the Thanksgiving holidays and decided I would post it again.

I hope you enjoy my video.  I've posted the full recipe below.  I know you'll love them, just as my family does.



Here's the written recipe for you to follow:

Perfect Popovers
Makes 12 small or 6 large

Ingredients:

3 eggs, room temperature
1 cup milk, room temperature (I use skim)
3 Tbsp. Canola Oil
1 cup, all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
Instructions for cooking in Convection mode and Bake mode:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees in either convection/bake mode or just bake.

While preparing the batter spray your popover pan with a non-stick cooking spray and place in the oven to heat up.

If eggs and milk are not at room temperature heat eggs (removed from their shell) for approximately 12 -15 seconds and milk for about 20-30 seconds in the microwave.

Whisk eggs, milk and oil together. Sift flour and add to the egg mixture. Add the salt and beat mixture together until it's smooth and free of any clumps.

Take popover pan out of the oven and place a small bit of butter into each popover cup (as shown in the video).

Pour batter 3/4 way full into each popover cup. If you run short and one of the cups is empty add water filling up about 1/2 way.

Place filled pan into the 400 degree oven and bake for:

Convection/Bake 20 minutes

Bake: 30 minutes

           (After 20-30 minutes of cooking)

Then, leaving the oven door closed, reduce heat to 325 degrees.

At this time if you were cooking in the convection mode switch to BAKE. Cook for an additional 5-15 minutes keeping a close eye on the popovers.

You'll know that they are done when they turn a nice golden brown, as seen in my video and at the top of this page.

Note: You can use a muffin pan if you like, but the popover pan produces a much prettier popover.

Popovers are best when baked just before serving. Serve hot with butter, strawberry butter, pumpkin butter, plain or with whatever you desire.

As always, if you have any questions while preparing these, don't hesitate to contact me. I'm always happy to help.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment