Pages

Thursday 12 April 2012

Flower Power - Cupcakes!


The flowers have been so beautiful lately lining the streets of our neighborhood, that I decided to create my own.  Since I don't consider myself to be the best at gardening, maybe because I've never done much of it, I decided to make flowered cupcakes.

My idea was to create large chocolate flowers on the top of cupcakes.  I played around with this idea in the ktichen last night trying one thing and another.  I had planned to post about my flower creations but wasn't sure if they were post worthy - even though I loved the way they looked.  Then my husband came in the kitchen and mentioned they were cute and asked where I purchased them? My neighbor stopped by today and asked the same thing in a "wow that's pretty" kind of tone, so I thought I'd go ahead and share them. 

Here's how I made my Flower Power Cupcakes: 


Make your favorite cupcakes, stuffed or unstuffed.  I like to stuff mine with chocolate filling, lemon or lime curd - YUM!  Then top with a favorite icing.  I colored mine to look like grass.

For the flower part, I used:

Confectioners Coating (white), you can also purchase colored ones
Large non-pareils - I like these because they have multi-colored sprinkles on top, most have white
Chefmaster Candy Colors
2 microwave safe dishes - for the confectioners coating
1 small bowl for coloring the icing

Place a handful of the confectioners coating in a microwave safe bowl.  The amount will depend on how many cupcakes you're designing. 


Microwave 3 times in increments of 30 seconds, stirring between each until smooth.


Once smooth add several drops of your desired color. I chose yellow and orange for the petals.

(I microwaved the confectioners coating in 2 separate bowls for 2 separate colors).

I then placed each color, once melted and blended, into a pastry bag, and cut the tip so just enough of the melted coating could come out. Keep the hole small otherwise too much coating will ooze out and make a mess. You can also use a zip lock baggie, cutting one tip.


My first plan was to make a flower template in one entire piece.


However, after doing that I felt like it looked too flat. 



So then I made individual petals in yellow and orange, that I would insert into a thick layer of icing and place the milk chocolate non-pariel in the center.  I liked this idea. 

I piped these free hand and as you can see they aren't all perfect.  You could make a template by drawing the petals on paper, then covering with parchment.  Be sure to tape this all down to a table though so it doesn't move.  Don't pipe directly onto the pencil marks, they will come off on the confectioners coating.

(outside photo)

Then I strategically placed my petals at varying levels and centered my non-pariel. Here you have it!

(inside photo)

This may not be the most beautiful flower cupcake but it was fun to make.  Best part - you can eat the petals individually or do: "he loves me, he loves me not!"  Well maybe your teenagers will want to do that.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment